kids

kids

Monday, November 25, 2013

Just one question....

Have you seen me and Wonder Woman in the same place at the same time?

The answer is no.

Want to know why?

I am not Wonder Woman.

I'm me.

I'm a Mom that dreads parent teacher conference because I'm worried I might drop the F-bomb.
I'm a wife that feels like she can't do enough to be there for her husband.
I'm a sister with siblings that I feel like I barely talk to, barely see and miss their laughter.
I'm a full time worker that puts in so much time I feel like I live there.
I'm a daughter with parents that live out of state and I miss them every.single.day.

I see these e-cards all over the internet:

"I am woman, hear me roar"
"I kick butt in heels, who's next?'

And I look around for my invisible jet to hop in and have it fly my ass back to reality.

Want to know why?

I feel like a failure as a human being about 2 out of 7 days a week.

  • Like when I forget to send my daughter's reading log back to school.
  • Or when I have to ask my husband to pick up dinner on his way home because I haven't been to the store.
  • Sunday nights when I realize the whole weekend went by and I never called my brother to tell him I love him.
  • When I write myself a "to do" list at work and at the end of the day I realize I  only got 2 things done.
  • Or when I spend a whole weekend with my Mom and the minute she leaves I realize once again I didn't take a picture of her and I together.

I have friends that are super excited for the holidays.  People that planned way ahead and have their trees up, their lights up, travel plans, cooking for 10, etc.

I'm lucky if come Thanksgiving morning I can find 2 matching socks.

I don't have a baby -I have a son in college and an 8 year old that dresses herself, feeds herself, completely self-sufficient.  So why is it such a challenge to get things accomplished?

I have a book I started a month ago---it never takes me this long to read a book.  Especially not one from my favorite author.

I'm not Wonder Woman.

Sometimes it takes every ounce of energy I have to get through some weeks without getting take out every night of the week.

I have learned to embrace me in all my flawed glory.  My scars, my fears, my imperfections.

I'm a Mom that would lay down my life for  my kids.
I'm a wife that loves her husband more today than I did the day I married him.
I'm a sister that will talk off anyone's ear that will listen about how AMAZING my siblings are.
I'm a full time worker that works ridiculously hard for her company to the point of exhaustion.
I'm a daughter from incredible parents that I owe everything I am to their amazing examples, their support, their love and their direction---even when I fought their guidance.

I'm not Wonder Woman.

I'm just me and today I've decided; that I am good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment